Bellevue High School All Class Reunion

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Musicians from BHS / Educators / Professionals / Amateur

Sparky Koerner

I am curious to know how many music educators or professional or even amateur musicians have graduated from BHS.  I know that in the Class of 1966 besides my self, there were 5 or 6 of us that have made a career in music. I do attribute some of that the Dean Streator the band director at the time I was there.

Musically,

Sparky Koerner

www.sparkysjazzexpress.com

--

Musically,

Sparky Koerner

Class of 1966

:cool:

April 25, 2010 at 3:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Michelle Parrilla Mangel
Site Owner

From what I've seen thus far, lots & lots. Mr. Paul Gerlach guided a lot of students to become musicians, music teachers, etc. I will check into this inquiry and possibly post the findings. Bellevue was just not known for athletes, right?  

--

Michelle Parrilla Mangel 72

April 28, 2010 at 1:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sparky Koerner

I think there are plenty of musicians out there that are just not aware of this post.

That is ok I will keep looking.  I played in a band in high school with Louis Scotti - keyboards / guitar, Gary Lewis - guitar, Kenny Hess - drums and me on Guitar and Trumpet.  We were known as the "Rising Sons" played Cumberland Community Center a few times and Wildwood.  Wow my mind just did a "how did I remember that" Ok hope some musicians post.

Musically, Sparky

--

Musically,

Sparky Koerner

Class of 1966

May 5, 2010 at 12:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Larry Scott - Bulldog '70

Sparky Koerner at May 5, 2010 at 12:13 AM

I think there are plenty of musicians out there that are just not aware of this post.

That is ok I will keep looking.  I played in a band in high school with Louis Scotti - keyboards / guitar, Gary Lewis - guitar, Kenny Hess - drums and me on Guitar and Trumpet.  We were known as the "Rising Sons" played Cumberland Community Center a few times and Wildwood.  Wow my mind just did a "how did I remember that" Ok hope some musicians post.

Musically, Sparky

To this day I remember The Rising Sons playing the Talent Show Assembly at BHS featuring Kenny playing "Wipe Out" and his orange sparkle Kent drum set!! Later I borrowed those drums for a future T S Assembly for our first little band to play "Walk Don't Run " and  "Pipeline". L.O.L.

--

May 14, 2010 at 1:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jim Brown

Hi Sparky.  I know you won't remember me but you may remember my sister Regina Brown, (class of '68).  I do remember you though.  I was still at Grant School when I heard you play "Bugler's Holiday" at a BHS concert.  Even at that young age, I was thinking "This Sparky guy sure has a lot of  talent".  Your playing actually got through to a 6th grader.  I've been a pro musician since I left high school in '72 but my career really cought fire after leaving the 'burgh for Morgantown, WV.  I wish Mr. Streator had stayed at BHS.  You were probably a lot better prepared for a life in music than I was.  By the way, Regina sings with the Mendelssohn Choir in Pittsburgh.

Keep Music Live!

Jim Brown

May 18, 2010 at 2:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy (Weigand) Maples

Hi music lovers,

I too persued a career in music. graduated in music education with emphasis in piano and taught elementary music in frederick, md.  also played keyboard in several worship bands.  graduated in 71.  hey, jimmy brown, i remember you in band playing the bass drum.  i played the french horn. i am very thankful for the opportunity too work under george pearsall throughout high school.  he so deepened my love and appreciation for music and prepared me well for the college music program.   sandy weigand maples

June 27, 2010 at 6:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Al Smith
Administrator

Dave Buetzow just recently retired as band director at Bethel Park HS. I think he followed C. Dean Streeter out there.

June 29, 2010 at 7:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Michelle Parrilla Mangel
Site Owner

All I know is that one of the best musicians to come out of BHS, instrument wise, singing, dancing was Bill Tatich 72. Man could he drive it home for Pre-game coming out of the Pit. BHS drummers were the sh-t. Never have I seen anything in all my life compared to the BHS band. We may of been small, but we were soooooooo cool. Thank you Mr. Streator & Mr. Gerlach for continuing the tradition.

--

June 30, 2010 at 11:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Grant Armendariz/72

I know Chaz Metzger went on to be a pro. Lost track of him years ago. Played trumpet in the band, all around brass player. 

July 1, 2010 at 12:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sparky Koerner

Yea Chaz Metzger went on to play with the San Francisco Opera Company I believe. My mother use to keep me posted as to what he was doing via his father. I know that he is not with them anymore because I checked their web site.  Chaz was a year behind me in school but sure did put the pressure on me that last year as a fine player.

www.sparkykoerner.com

--

Musically,

Sparky Koerner

Class of 1966

July 7, 2010 at 9:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Paula Bauer (Vaughn) 64

Hey Sparky,  I'm pretty sure you're the guy I remember from band. Although I was not a musician,  I was and have always felt that we, who were,lucky enough to have Mr. Streator as a band director, were so very fortunate.  I have the greatest memories of being in the BHS band and I marvel at the   formations that we did  and changing them EACH week!  Nobody does that anymore!  That was truly a very special time in our lives and  I'm, so grateful I was a part of it. He had me working hard when I head Majorette and I loved it!!!

It was a HUGE to Bellevue High when he left. The thing that stands out in my mind the most was that he changed to drum beat   to the low sound ing   beat the year after I graduated so it would be in the fall of 64. It was awesome and I wished it had been there for me to come on to the field with.  I'm hopeful Mr. Streator will be at the July 31st reunion-I would love to see him again.   Paula Vaughn Bauer, 64     

July 8, 2010 at 1:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gayle Downey

Hi:  I read Sparky's comments and followed his link.  I'm wondering if he, and any other BHS musician alumni, are willing to bring their instruments, to play (if it isn't too much trouble, that is)?  If so,  I'm sure there'd be a heck of a good time in the lurking.

July 9, 2010 at 1:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sparky Koerner

I always travel with my trumpet and at the 40th class of 1966 I played a couple of tunes. Unfortunately I will not be able to make the reunion this year.  I was planning on it but didn't lock the date in and well got booked for some gigs in Galveston that weekend. Yes if musicians are there they should bring their instruments and entertain just a bit. Ya'll have a great time.

Musically, Sparky

--

Musically,

Sparky Koerner

Class of 1966

July 15, 2010 at 7:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Michelle Parrilla Mangel
Site Owner

We definitely need at least one drum, maybe a trumpet or 2, someone has to play the fight songs for us.

--

July 20, 2010 at 10:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jim Brown

Has anyone heard from or know the know the wherabouts of Dickie Moore?  I marched with him in the Bellevue Bellettes, ( hey Sandy, I played the bass drum there too:~) ), and took drum lessons from him for a few years.  What a fabulous musician!

July 21, 2010 at 7:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Terry A. Wooster

I cannot wait to see everyone next week!!!!!!!  Thank you, thank you, thank you to the committee who set this up and all the people who helped make it possible.

--

July 21, 2010 at 8:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

John Cloues '69

Though I moved after 8th grade, to San Francisco, I played bass drum during that year at Bellevue, what a blast.  I remember playing in the snake dance down Lincolin Ave after we won football games.  I think we even won the Western Conf. Football Championship that year.  MaryLou Nesbit posted several pictures of the band, I think I am the one playing the bass drum, at least I like to believe it's me. I played bass drum in the Bellettes one summer with Dicki Moore, I remember very little of one of the drum cadences, it's fun to pick up sticks and try playing.

I will be at the reunion, maybe we can get an Alumni picture of all the OLD band members, no matter what year they played.?

John Cloues '69

July 26, 2010 at 8:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dave Irwin

Ron Bowers, Jimmy Helt and I played in high school as a garage trio, Those Damn Kids.   Both of Ron's children grew up to be professional musicians. 

My first public performance was playing for a folk mass at Assumption that included music from "Up with People."   I also played (badly) in the French horn section of the band (Hi, Sandy!!) and sang in the choir.

I've continued to play guitar and perform, including multiple years at the Tucson Folk Festival.  I'm also a music writer and critic for Tucson Weekly and TucsonSentinel.com. 

My thanks also to Mr. Gerlack and Mr. Pearsall for their encouragement, despite their concerns about my use of microtonal scales and modal drones.

Dave Irwin

July 28, 2010 at 8:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Michelle Parrilla Mangel
Site Owner

Still hoping someone brings a trumpet, snare drum and maybe a sax!

--

July 30, 2010 at 6:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sparky Koerner

Hey all, I was planning on attending this year but got side tracked by the Newport Jazz Festival on Aug 5-8 in R.I. I was trying to work out flying into the Burg and spending that week there until flying to Newport but it just didn't work out.  I hope some of the former musicians from BHS etc. bring their instruments and play some for ya'll.  Have a great time at the reunion. sk www.sparkysjazzexpress.com

--

Musically,

Sparky Koerner

Class of 1966

June 16, 2011 at 5:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.