Bellevue High School All Class Reunion

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > RIP to a Classmate

Mack Strouss '66

The recent passing of classmate Mark Weissert (’66) brings a memory that to me was one of lost opportunity. Mark had talent, looks, popularity; in short a lot of charisma. I was a member of the Belvederes, a neighborhood rock group. We played dances at the high school and the Y, doing instrumental hits; we were the Wipeout, Walk Don’t Run, Pipeline band. I thought we were pretty tight. Mark and Tom Ward, another multi-talented classmate, approached our leaders, Paul Wherli and Don Ossman, with a proposal to be the band’s frontmen and vocalists. Paul and Don brought the idea to Bob Raymond and me and we discussed it. I can’t remember how the others felt, but I was against it. I wondered if these guys were serious, I didn’t see what talent they were bringing and I thought it violated our focus as being the consummate ‘Ventures’ band. I also think that part of me was intimidated by the introduction of the more popular and stronger personalities. I’ve had a few junctures in my life that demonstrated a lack of vision and this was one of them. Mark and Tom went on to greater ‘ventures’, we continued to play the Y, and a few years later Three Dog Night, an ensemble of three charismatic guys fronting a pretty tight band, rolled over the pop music scene.

I hope Mark rests in peace and my prayers go out to his family.

M.

--
August 9, 2014 at 9:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Thomas

Very flattering, Mack. I was very sad to hear about Mark's passing. Decidedly, Mark possessed the looks and the personality to go places. A good friend to me and to so many others, he was someone who was always fun to be around in high school (Vespa or not) and who encouraged us to think big thoughts. Proud of Baltimore and of being a BHS alum. I remember how he fought through some health challenges even while in High School and never let them stop him from being an accomplished athlete, a great performer, and a serious thinker. With gratitude to Mark, in solidarity with fellow '66 alums and with sincere sympathy to his family.

Tom Ward BHS '66

August 15, 2014 at 6:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.